With summer almost here, now is the perfect time to cook one of my favourite proteins: prawns! This is a great easy stir fry dish I’ve based on a recipe by Masterchef Justine Schofield. Full of mushrooms and eggplant, it’s a tasty way to get your three serves of vege for the day.
PRAWN, EGGPLANT & SHIITAKE MUSHROOM STIR FRY
25g dried shiitake mushrooms
400g green prawns, peeled & deveined
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 inch knob of ginger, finely grated
2 long red chillis, finely chopped
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
1 large eggplant, cut into 2cm cubes
1 tbsp canola oil
2 tsp cornflour
1/2 cup unsalted cashew nuts
1/2 cup roughly chopped coriander, plus extra to serve
- Pour enough boiling water over mushrooms to cover and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine prawns, garlic, ginger, chillis, sesame oil, oyster sauce, soy sauce, honey, and Shaoxing wine. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a wok. Add eggplant and cook until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add prawns and cook until they begin to turn pink, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the mushrooms and reserve the liquid. Add the mushrooms to the pan.
- Measure out 1/2 cup of the mushroom liquid. Whisk in the cornflour and add to the pan. Stir until sauce thickens, then add cashews and coriander.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or noodles, topped with extra coriander.